The purpose of this article is to prohibit illicit connections to the municipal separate storm sewer system(s) operated by the Township of West Windsor, so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for the failure to comply.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. The definitions below are either the same as or based on corresponding definitions in the New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) rules at N.J.A.C. 7:14A-1.2.
- DOMESTIC SEWAGE
- Waste and wastewater from humans or household operations (such as appliances).
- ILLICIT CONNECTION
- Any physical or nonphysical connection that discharges domestic sewage, noncontact cooling water, process wastewater or other industrial waste (other than stormwater) to the municipal separate storm sewer system operated by the Township of West Windsor, unless that discharge is authorized under a NJPDES permit other than the Tier A Municipal Stormwater General Permit (NJPDES Permit Number NJ0141852). Nonphysical connections may include, but are not limited to, leaks, flows or overflows into the municipal separate storm sewer system.
- INDUSTRIAL WASTE
- Nondomestic waste, including, but not limited to, those pollutants regulated under Section 307(a), (b), or (c) of the Federal Clean Water Act [33 U.S.C. § 1317(a), (b) or (c)].
- MUNICIPAL SEPARATE STORM SEWER SYSTEM (MS4)
- A conveyance or system of conveyances (including streets with drainage systems, catch basins, curbs, gutters, ditches, channels or storm drains) that is owned or operated by the Township of West Windsor or other public body and collects and conveys stormwater.
- NJPDES PERMIT
- A permit issued by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection to implement the New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) rules at N.J.A.C. 7:14A.
- NONCONTACT COOLING WATER
- Water used to reduce temperature for the purpose of cooling. Such waters do not come into direct contact with any raw material, intermediate product (other than heat) or finished product. Noncontact cooling water may, however, contain algaecides or biocides to control fouling of equipment such as heat exchangers and/or corrosion inhibitors.
- PROCESS WASTEWATER
- Any water which, during manufacturing or processing, comes into direct contact with or results from the production or use of any raw material, intermediate product, finished product, by-product or waste product. Process wastewater includes, but is not limited to, leachate and cooling water other than noncontact cooling water.
- Water resulting from precipitation (including rain and snow) that runs off the land's surface, is transmitted to the subsurface, is captured by separate storm sewers or other sewerage or drainage facilities or is conveyed by snow removal equipment.
No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged through an illicit connection to the municipal separate storm sewer system operated by the Township of West Windsor any domestic sewage, noncontact cooling water, process wastewater or other industrial waste (other than stormwater).
This article shall be enforced by the Police, Township Engineer, Health Officer or the Plumbing Subcode Official and/or their designee of the Township of West Windsor by the issuance of complaints to responsible property owners with penalties to be imposed on violators as provided in Chapter 1, § 1-3, General penalty, of the Township Code.