The purpose of this article is to establish requirements for the proper disposal of pet solid waste in the Township of West Windsor, so as to protect public health, safety and welfare, and to prescribe penalties for failure to comply.
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- That the pet solid waste is removed at once, without delay.
- Any person who shall possess, maintain, house or harbor any pet or otherwise have custody of any pet, whether or not the owner of such pet.
- A domesticated animal (other than a disability assistance animal) kept for amusement or companionship.
- PET SOLID WASTE
- Waste matter expelled from the bowels of the pet; excrement
- PROPER DISPOSAL
- Placement in a designated waste receptacle, or other suitable container, and discarded in a refuse container which is regularly emptied by the municipality or some other refuse collector; or disposal into a system designed to convey domestic sewage for proper treatment and disposal. Proper disposal does not include placement of waste in privately owned trash cans or dumpsters unless the owner of such grants permission for said disposal.
All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet's solid waste deposited on any property, public or private, not owned or possessed by that person.
Any owner or keeper who requires the use of a disability assistance animal shall be exempt from the provisions of this article while such animal is being used for that purpose.
Any owner or keeper who disposes of pet waste, such as horse or cow manure, upon the property of a resident to West Windsor Township at the request of such resident for the purpose of a vegetable or flower garden shall be exempt from the provisions of this article.