[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Paterson as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
[Adopted 1-20-1998 by Ord. No. 98-007]
It shall be unlawful for any person, partnership, corporation, business association or any other entity to display a tobacco or alcoholic beverage advertisement in a publicly visible location on or within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of any school property within the City of Paterson. Any such tobacco advertisements located in said areas prior to the effective date of this article must either be removed or permanently and completely covered at the time this ordinance takes effect.
This article shall not apply to:
A single sign, poster, placard or label within ten feet of an entrance to an establishment which sells tobacco products or alcoholic beverages if such sign, poster, placard or label is no larger than six square feet and contains only black printing on white background; provided, however, that such sign contains only one or more of the following words: "liquor," "alcoholic beverages," "tobacco," "tobacco products," "cigarettes," "cigars," "pipe tobacco," "chewing tobacco," "snuff," "sold here," "available," "for sale," "here."
Any tobacco advertisement on a licensed taxicab or autobus.
The following definitions shall apply to this article:
- PUBLICLY VISIBLE LOCATION
- Any outdoor location visible to the public, including but not limited to outdoor billboards, roofs and sides of buildings, water towers and freestanding signboards; and doors or windows reasonably visible to the public from the outside at a distance of two feet from such doors or windows. The term "publicly visible location" shall not include:
- ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE
- The same definition as set forth in N.J.S.A. 33:1-1.
- SCHOOL PROPERTY/PREMISES
- The building, grounds or facilities, or any portion thereof, owned, occupied by or under the custody or control of public, private or parochial institutions for the primary purpose of providing education instruction to students at or below the twelfth grade level.
- TOBACCO ADVERTISEMENT
- Any words, pictures, posters, placards, signs, photographs, symbols, devices, graphic displays or visual images of any kind, or any combination thereof, the purpose or affect of which is to promote the use or sale of a product, including through the identification of a brand of a tobacco product, a trademark of a tobacco product or a trade name associated exclusively with a tobacco product.
- LIQUOR/ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE ADVERTISEMENT
- Any words, pictures, posters, placards, signs, photographs, symbols, devices, graphic displays or visual images of any kind, or any combination thereof, the purpose or effect of which is to promote the use or sale of a product, including through the identification of a brand of an intoxicating liquor, alcoholic beverage, a trademark of a liquor/alcoholic beverage product or a trade name associated exclusively with the same.