[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town of East Hampton as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Article I Consumption in Public
[Adopted by the Town Council 7-10-1990]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ALCOHOLIC LIQUOR
- The same meaning as in the Connecticut Liquor Control Act, § 30-1 et seq. of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended.
- PARKED VEHICLE
- The same meaning as in § 14-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended.
- PARKING AREA
- Lots, areas or other accommodations for the parking of motor vehicles off the street or highway and open to public use with or without charge as defined by § 14-212 of the Connecticut General Statutes, as amended.
- POSSESSION WITH INTENT TO CONSUME
- Having in one's possession or control alcoholic liquor in a glass, open bottle, open can or other open container so as to permit consumption.
- PUBLIC HIGHWAYS
- All public highways within and under the control of the Town of East Hampton and shall also include the sidewalks.
Except as permitted in § 157-3 hereof, no person shall consume or possess with intent to consume any alcoholic liquor within the limits of any public highways, sidewalks or parking areas as they exist within the Town of East Hampton. For purposes of this section, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, possession with intent to consume alcoholic liquor in motor vehicles parked on said premises shall also be deemed a violation hereof.
Persons may possess alcoholic liquor with the intent to consume and may consume alcoholic liquor during any public function, festival or celebration without violating this article; provided, however, that the Chief of Police or his/her designee has first given written authorization to permit the service or distribution of alcoholic liquor at or in connection with such function, festival or celebration. Such authorization may permit the possession or consumption of alcoholic liquor on a continuing basis, provided that the Chief of Police or his designee is satisfied that such activity will be supervised by an agent or employee of the Town.
Consumption or possession with intent to consume shall not be permitted in parked vehicles under any circumstances.