[HISTORY: Adopted by the Council of the City of Breckenridge 10-1-1990 by Ord. No. 415. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT
- The area of the city described as follows: The area bounded by 4th Street from Beede Avenue and south to Mendenhall Avenue and west to 3rd Street and south to Nebraska Avenue and west to the Welles Memorial Park entrance at the Otter Tail River and along the Otter Tail River to the Bois de Sioux River and south the Burlington Northern/Red River and Western Railroad bridge and east to Pope Street and south to Wisconsin Avenue, then east to 4th Street and south to Oregon Avenue and east to 6th Street then north to Wisconsin Avenue and east to 8th Street and then north to Nebraska Avenue and west to 6th Street then north to Beede Avenue and the right-of-way of US Highway 75 North from Beede Avenue to Wilkin Avenue.
- To ride on or control the operation of a skateboard or roller skate.
- Includes an individual, partnership, corporation, the state and its agencies and subdivisions and any body of persons whether incorporated or not.
- ROLLER SKATE/SKI/BLADE
- A form of skate, runner or blade attached to a shoe or the feet to which wheels have been attached.
- A nonmotorized, self-propelled device for riding upon, usually while standing and not secured to the riders feet or shoes, consisting of an oblong piece of wood or of other composition mounted on skate or skate-type wheels.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a skateboard or roller skates:
Within the central business district.
On private property of another without the express permission to do so by the owner or occupant of said property. Signs posted prohibiting skateboards and or roller skates are to be considered sufficient notice of their prohibition.
On any county state-aid road or state highway within the city limits, except to make a direct crossing.
On any public and private property generally described as the tennis courts, swimming pool area, public school property, St. Francis Medical Center and Home property.
In a careless, reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, the safety of any person or the property of any other person.
When emerging from an alley, driveway or building upon approaching a sidewalk or the sidewalk area extending across any alleyway, to fail to yield the right-of-way to all pedestrians approaching the sidewalk or sidewalk area, or upon entering the roadway to fail to yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway.
To attach the skateboard or roll skates to or the person of the operator to any vehicle, as defined in M.S. § 169.01, upon a roadway.
While upon a roadway, failing to ride as close as possible to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.
Upon a public street or other roadway after sunset and before sunrise.
This chapter shall not apply to the use of skateboards and roller skates/skis/blades when authorized by police for exhibitions, demonstrations or parades.
Any person apprehended by a law enforcement officer in violation of the provisions of this chapter may have his or her skateboard or roller skates impounded by the officer in lieu of a citation as provided herein as follows:
Any operator aggrieved by the impound of his or her skateboard or roller skates may petition the City Council for a hearing thereon at the next regular Council meeting following the impoundment.