[Adopted 3-14-2006 by L.L. No. 2-2006]
The Board finds that some residents are keeping as pets creatures which have an adverse impact upon the public health, welfare and safety of Village residents. The Board therefore elects to define those animals and pets which may be legally and safely harbored in the Village and to prohibit the harboring of other pets and animals.
The title of this article shall hereafter be “Animals and Pets, Harboring of.”
As used in this article, unless otherwise specifically stated, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- ANIMALS AND PETS, PERMITTED
- Household pets such as dogs, cats and caged small creatures including monkeys, reptiles, rabbits, chinchillas, ferrets, hamsters, birds and parrots.
- ANIMALS AND PETS, PROHIBITED
- All animals and pets other than those permitted are prohibited. Prohibited animals and pets include, but are not limited to, horses, sheep, alpacas, goats, donkeys and similar creatures. Prohibited birds and fowl include, but are not limited to, chickens and roosters.
- Providing food or shelter to any pet or animal.
- A person who harbors or keeps any pet or animal.
Harboring of permitted pets and animals as previously defined is legal in the Village, unless the number of pets and animals harbored are such as to create unsafe or unhealthy conditions which may adversely affect the animals or human beings coming into contact with them.
Harboring of other than permitted pets and animals is prohibited.
Any person who shall violate any of the provisions of this article shall be guilty of a violation punishable as follows:
The continuance of an offense against the provisions of this article shall constitute, for each and every day or part thereof the same is continued, a separate and distinct violation hereunder.
This chapter may be enforced by any Building Inspector, Code Enforcement Officer or Animal Control Officer.