[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Alexandria Bay 6-19-1990 by L.L. No. 5-1990. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Noise — See Ch. 102.
This chapter shall be known and cited as the "Village of Alexandria Bay Dog Control Law."
Except as specifically defined in this section, all words and terms used in this chapter shall carry their customary meaning and shall be interpreted and construed to carry out the purposes and intent of this chapter.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- COUNTY DOG CONTROL OFFICER
- That person or persons employed or designated by Jefferson County for the impoundment of dogs or other animals and the enforcement of laws relating to the care, custody, control and safety relating to dogs and other animals.
- To lead a dog to a suitable place for defecation so as to not adversely affect the general public or private landowners other than the dog's owner.
- Includes both the male and female members of the species Canis familiaris.
- DOG CONTROL OFFICER
- Any village police officer, County Dog Control Officer and other persons appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Board of Trustees to enforce and implement the provisions of this chapter.
- Any person who harbors and keeps or who last harbored and kept any dog.
- OWNER OF RECORD
- Any person in whose name any dog was last licensed pursuant to Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law except, if the person is under 18 years of age and is not emancipated, then his or her parents or legal guardians.
- Any lot or parcel of land to which a dog's owner has the right to quiet enjoyment.
- RUNNING AT LARGE
- Any dog while roaming, running, self-hunting or otherwise off the premises of its owner while not on a leash and under the owner's or his agent's immediate control or contained in a vehicle or a suitable cage.
No person shall own, harbor, keep, maintain or allow a dog in the village unless it is licensed in accordance with Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.
No owner shall permit or allow a dog to run at large in the Village of Alexandria Bay, except during an organized dog show.
[Amended 7-8-2008 by L.L. No. 3-2008]
While off of the owner's premises, a dog shall be suitably curbed. Any person in control of the dog while the dog is being curbed shall pick up after that dog, if the dog should defecate while off of the owner's property, and dispose of it properly.
[Added 8-13-2013 by L.L. No. 4-2013]
Dogs are prohibited from being in that portion of the Village Park north of the Guard House, including the beach area and playground area.
[Amended 7-8-2008 by L.L. No. 3-2008]
No owner shall keep, harbor, maintain, or allow a dog which habitually barks, cries or makes other noises that disturb or interfere with the reasonable peace of a person off of the owner's premises.
Any unlicensed dog or dog engaging in conduct which violates the provisions of this chapter or Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law may be seized and temporarily impounded by a Dog Control Officer. Upon seizure of a dog, the seizing Dog Control Officer shall ensure that the dog is properly sheltered, fed and watered until released to its owner of record in accordance with the provisions of this chapter and the Agriculture and Markets Law or until released to the care and custody of the County Dog Control Officer for impoundment and disposition.
Pursuant to § 118 of the Agriculture and Markets Law, a Dog Control Officer who seizes any licensed dog pursuant to this chapter shall notify the owner of record of the dog's seizure and that the dog may be redeemed at the village's temporary impoundment facility until the dog is delivered to the County Dog Control Officer for disposition, at which time it may be redeemed at the county dog pound or shelter. All impoundment fees paid for the redemption of a dog at the village's temporary impoundment facility shall be the same as those provided in § 118 of the Agriculture and Markets Law, as amended from time to time.
All Dog Control Officers shall enforce this chapter and Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law. Dog Control Officers shall have all the powers and duties prescribed in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law, except that they shall not be required to ascertain or maintain a list of the names of all persons in the Village of Alexandria Bay owning or harboring dogs.
Any owner who violates the provisions of this chapter shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $25 for the first offense, $50 for the second offense and $100 for each subsequent offense committed within 12 months of any prior violation of this chapter.