[Adopted 4-10-2006 by Ord. No. 0-06-06; amended in its entirety 8-13-2008 by Ord. No. 0-08-15]
The purpose of this article is to establish a yard waste and brush collection program in the Township of Plainsboro so as to protect the public health, safety and welfare and to prescribe penalties for failure to comply.
For the purpose of this article, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings stated herein unless their use in the text of this article clearly demonstrates a different meaning. When not inconsistent with the context, words used in the present tense include the future, words used in the plural number include the singular number, and words used in the singular number include the plural number. The word "shall" is always mandatory and not merely directory.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Branches, woody plants and other like vegetative material not exceeding five inches in diameter and Christmas trees. Brush does not include leaves and grass clippings.
- The placement of yard waste in a trash can, bucket, bag or other vessel such as to prevent the yard waste from spilling or blowing out into the street and coming into contact with stormwater.
- Any individual, corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or political subdivision of this state subject to municipal jurisdiction.
- Any street, avenue, boulevard, road, parkway, viaduct, drive or other way which is an existing state, county or municipal roadway, and includes the land between the street lines, whether improved or unimproved, and may comprise pavement, shoulders, gutters, curbs, sidewalks, parking areas, and other areas within the street lines.
- YARD WASTE
- Leaves and grass clippings.
Sweeping, raking, blowing or otherwise placing yard waste and/or brush that is not containerized at the curb or along the street is only allowed during the seven days prior to a scheduled and announced collection, and yard waste and/or brush shall not be placed closer than 10 feet to any storm drain inlet. Persons shall only place yard waste and/or brush at the curb or along the street that is directly abutting their property lines.
Placement of such yard waste and/or brush at the curb or along the street at any other time or in any other manner is a violation of this article. If such placement of yard waste and/or brush occurs, the party responsible for placement of the yard waste must remove the yard waste and/or brush from the street, or said party shall be deemed in violation of this article.
There shall be no mulch, sand, landscape construction material and debris or soil at curb for pickup.
This article shall be enforced by the Township of Plainsboro Police Department and/or the Code Enforcement Department and/or the Superintendent of Public Works or a designee.
Any person who violates any provision of this article shall, upon conviction therefor, be subject to the general penalties set forth in § 1-15 of this Code.