For purposes of interpretation and application of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meaning ascribed to them by this section unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
- A salary increase within the limits of the salary range established for a range or step.
- The placing of a position in its proper class and pay range and step based upon duties performed and the responsibility and duties exercised.
- The appeal provided to an employee under the provisions of Sec. 16-10 of the Town Charter.
- APPOINTING AUTHORITY
- Unless otherwise defined in the Town Charter, each elected officer, department head, board or other agency which has the power to appoint, dismiss, suspend, demote, transfer or lay off his deputies, clerks, assistants and subordinates serving under his supervisory control.
- The act of the appointing authority in selecting the person he deems best qualified for the position which is to be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Town Charter and this chapter.
- APPOINTMENT DATE
- The day on which the act of the appointing authority occurs in selecting the person whom he deems best qualified for the position to be filled and the engagement of such personnel, as required by the provisions of the Town Charter.
- The Personnel Board, consisting of three members appointed by the Town Administrator, according to the provisions of the Town Charter.
- BOARD OF PERSONNEL REVIEW
- The Town Council acting as a personnel appeal board, in accordance with the provisions of the Town Charter.
- CERTIFIED LIST
- The list of names of three persons standing highest thereon who are available for appointment or promotion within the job classification plan. That list shall contain the list of persons who are candidates or applicants for any position in the classified service and shall designate the three persons standing highest thereon who are available for appointment, employment or promotion to the particular position concerned.
- The Home Rule Charter approved by the voters at the general election of November 1962, and any amendments thereto.
- CLASSIFIED PERSONNEL
- All persons engaged, appointed or employed in the service of the Town and shall be considered members of the classified service, excepting those excepted by the provisions of Sec. 16-4 of the Town Charter.
- CLASSIFIED SERVICE
- All offices and positions included within the position, pay and classification plan contained in this chapter, existing or hereinafter created, in accordance with the provisions of the Town Charter.
- A change of an employee from a position of one class to a position of another class for which a lower maximum rate of pay is provided.
- Separation of an employee from the Town service other than by layoff, resignation or retirement.
- A person whose name is on an appropriate employment list and who is not ineligible for appointment for other reasons.
- Any person who is classified in a position, pay, and classification plan for the Town.
- Such tests and other forms of evidence so as to determine qualifications and capabilities of candidates for positions in the classified service.
- The public or private hearing before the Town Council as prescribed by the provisions of the Town Charter.
- PERMANENT EMPLOYEE
- Any person who shall have successfully completed the six-month probationary period and who shall not be subject to dismissal, suspension, demotion, transfer or layoff, except for cause, and who shall be entitled to the appellate procedures provided for in Sec. 16-10 of the Town Charter.
- POSITION, CLASSIFICATION PLAN
- The class or designation of a position; the minimum qualifications necessary for such position; the duties, responsibilities and type of work required by such position; and the competitive or qualified examination required therefor.
- POSITION PAY PLAN
- The schedule of salary or wages for each position established by the classification plan including definition for the method of granting step advancement in pay where a minimum and maximum pay range is established for a particular position.
- PROBATIONARY EMPLOYEE
- Any employee appointed to a position covered by the classified service and who shall not have completed the six-month probationary period and who shall be subject to dismissal by the appointing authority during the probationary period without appeal to the Town Council, according to the provisions of Sec. 16-7 of the Town Charter.
- TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT
- An appointment to a vacant position in the classified service where no certified list of persons eligible for appointment thereto is available at the time of the temporary appointment.
This chapter shall be known as the “Position and Pay Classification Plan,” which may hereinafter be referred to as the “Town Civil Service Chapter.”
In the application and administration of this chapter, no person shall be discriminated against because of any political belief, marital status, race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, or country of ancestral origin.
There is hereby established a Personnel Position and Pay Classification Plan for the Town and the declared personnel policy is as follows:
Employment in the Town government shall be based on merit and fitness, free of personal and political considerations.
Just and equitable incentives and conditions of employment shall be established and maintained to promote efficiency and economy in the operation of the Town government.
Positions having similar duties and responsibilities shall be classified and compensated on a uniform basis.
Appointments, promotions and other actions requiring the application of the merit principle shall be based upon systematic test and evaluation and in accordance with, and subject to, all applicable provisions of the Town Charter.
High morale shall be maintained by fair administration of this chapter and by every consideration of the rights and interests of employees consistent with the best interests of the public and the Town.
Work in compliance with the provisions of the Town Charter.
The Personnel Board shall recommend rules and regulations to the Town Council for adoption, which rules and regulations shall prescribe hours of work; conditions and length of time for which leaves of absence with pay and leaves of absence without pay may be granted. Such rules shall cover, among other matters, vacations, sick leaves and leaves for military service.