[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of Hamilton 10-4-2010 by Ord. No. 1676-2010. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It is the purpose of this chapter to establish regulations controlling the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of Hamilton Township, Atlantic County, and to establish penalties for the violation of this regulation.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- BOUNDARY LINES
- The outermost division lot line, as shown on the official tax map, upon which a lot and/or lots, a structure or a parking lot has been constructed. (See illustration below.)
- A structure as defined by N.J.S.A. 23:4-1 et seq. and the applicable provision of the New Jersey Administrative Code.
- Any rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, handgun, muzzle loader, or black-powder rifle, or any other similar mechanism by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile through a gun barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air or spring.
- Any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed on a person.
- PLACE OF PUBLIC ASSEMBLY
- A place of public assembly is a government-owned or privately owned park; place of worship; elementary or secondary school; school playground; public library; government-owned or privately owned recreational facility; or fairground. A place of public assembly shall include all property associated with the place, such as a parking lot or grounds of a building. (See illustration below.)
- A weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and made or re-made to use the energy of an explosive in a fixed, metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore.
- SHOPPING MALLS AND CENTERS
- This shall include, but is not limited to, the Hamilton Mall; the Festival Mall; the Hamilton Commons; and any commercial establishment which contains four or more retail stores open to the general public. This shall include all malls or shopping centers which are approved and constructed after the effective date of the adoption of this chapter.
- Any weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of balls of shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
No person shall cause the discharge of a firearm within 450 feet of any building.
No person shall discharge a firearm across any municipal, county or state highway within Hamilton Township.
No person shall allow or cause the discharge of a firearm within 450 feet of the boundary line of any place of public assembly.
No person shall allow or cause the discharge of a firearm within 450 feet of the boundary line of any shopping center or mall contained within the Township of Hamilton or any that shall be developed after the date of the enactment of this chapter.
A person may discharge a firearm closer than 450 feet to a building only:
If the person is a police officer within the scope of his duties and consistent with all practices and procedures governing the police department.
When necessary to protect life.
To kill a dangerous animal that is threatening harm to a person.
In salutes by firing squads at military funerals.
If discharging of blank cartridges in a musical or theatrical performance, parade or sporting event.
If that person has written permission of the owner of the land in hand.
Any violation of this chapter shall be punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor to exceed $300 for the first offense and not less than $300 nor to exceed $1,500 for any second or subsequent offenses.