[HISTORY: Adopted by the Borough Council of the Borough of Wilmerding as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Municipal claims — See Ch. 205.
Article I Reimbursement for Services
[Adopted 4-1-1997 by Ord. No. 953 (Ch. 1, Part 10, of the 1989 Code)]
This article shall be known as the "Public Emergency and Accident Compensation Ordinance."
Where used in this article, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings ascribed to them herein:
- A motor vehicle accident, any type of accident or misadventure, a fire, a false alarm, a spillage of any type of material affecting public property, the commission of or the attempt to commit a crime, an authorized call for police, fire or emergency assistance or any event of any nature whereby police, fire or emergency personnel are summoned or utilized.
- EMERGENCY SERVICE PROVIDER
- The ambulance service provider authorized and approved by Wilmerding Borough Council from time to time.
- EMERGENCY SERVICES
- The Fire Department, the Police Department and the emergency service provider.
- ENTITY CAUSING AN EMERGENCY
- One or more of the following or any combination thereof: a person, corporation, limited partnership, partnership, association, or their agents, servants, employees and insurers which are involved in the circumstances which necessitate the assistance or summoning of emergency services.
- FIRE DEPARTMENT
- The Wilmerding Borough Fire Department.
- INSTRUMENTALITY CAUSING OR INVOLVED IN AN EMERGENCY
- The personal or real property involved in an event giving rise to the circumstances which necessitate the assistance or summoning of emergency services.
- POLICE DEPARTMENT
- The Wilmerding Borough police.
From the effective date of this article, all entities, and any and all insurance carriers for such entities, causing an emergency or owning any of the instrumentalities causing or involved in an emergency shall be jointly and severally responsible for payment of the expense of all emergency services utilized as a result of the emergency.
The governing body of any emergency service provider shall hereinafter be authorized to demand and seek compensation in any legal manner it sees fit to collect such reasonable sums due on account of emergency services it provides for an emergency from any entity responsible for such fire or emergency services provided pursuant to this article.
The Borough of Wilmerding shall hereinafter be authorized to demand, seek compensation in any legal manner it sees fit to collect such reasonable sums due on account of emergency services it provides for an emergency from any entity responsible for police services pursuant to this article.
Any claim made by the Borough of Wilmerding shall be deemed to be a municipal claim for municipal services rendered.