[HISTORY: Adopted by the Town Board of the Town of Ulysses as indicated in article histories. Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- CAYUGA LAKE
- The whole of Cayuga Lake to its high-water mark, all subsurface lands, and all streams, creeks, rivers, canals, inlets, and other waterways connected thereto, whether navigable or not, located in the Town of Ulysses.
- One-half hour after sunrise to one-half hour before sunset.
- One-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise.
- NON-MOTOR-POWERED VESSEL
- A vessel powered by a force other than a motor, specifically wind or human muscle power, such as canoe, kayak, paddleboat, crew boat, row boat, sailboat or sailboard.
- PERSONAL WATERCRAFT or PWC
- A vessel which uses an inboard motor powering a water jet pump as its primary source of motive power and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
- Any location where the surface of Cayuga Lake meets land, including emergent islands and structures of all sorts, but not including wharves, docks, and similar structures made, placed or installed by any person or entity.
- SPECIALTY PROP-CRAFT
- A vessel which is powered by an outboard motor or propeller-driven motor and which is designed to be operated by a person sitting, standing, or kneeling on, or being towed behind the vessel, rather than in the conventional manner of sitting or standing inside the vessel.
- As defined in Subdivision 6 of § 2 of the New York State Navigation Law or any successor or amendment to such subdivision and section.
- Any vessel, vehicle, or contrivance intended, designed, or utilized for travel over or under water, and that is propelled by a motor or engine of any type, whether fueled by gasoline or otherwise.
A vessel regulation zone is established so that no watercraft shall exceed a speed of:
Five miles per hour within 100 feet of any shoreline, dock, pier, marked swimming area; or anchored, moored, floating or nonmotorized vessel; or
Ten miles per hour when between 100 feet and 500 feet of any shoreline, or marked swimming area, with exception made for vessels operated for the purpose of enabling a person engaged in water skiing to take off or land; or
Forty-five miles per hour during the daytime and 25 miles per hour during the nighttime when between 500 feet and 1,500 feet of any shoreline or marked swimming area.
No person shall operate a PWC or a specialty prop-craft at any time before 9:00 a.m. or after the earlier of 8:00 p.m. or one-half hour before sunset.
No person under the age of 16 years may operate a PWC or specialty prop-craft unless he or she is accompanied by a parent or guardian, an adult over the age of 18 years or possesses a current and valid boating certificate issued by the State of New York, the United States Coast Guard, or an appropriate Power Squadron.
In no case shall the noise level of any watercraft, or any activities conducted from such watercraft, exceed 65 dBA during daytime and 55 dBA during nighttime as measured from the shore.
This article shall apply only to those portions of Cayuga Lake falling under the jurisdiction of the Town of Ulysses.
A violation of this article shall be punishable as set forth in § 73-c of the New York State Navigation Law or any successor or amendment to such section.
This article shall become effective April 13, 2004, or 10 days after publication of a copy of this article or a summary or abstract of same in the official newspaper of the Town as required by Town Law § 133, whichever is later.