[Adopted 3-27-1984 by L.L. No. 4-1984]
As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meanings as indicated:
- The transfer of any interest in open space or an open area by the Town of Southampton.
- The fee or any lesser interest, including development right, easement, covenant or contractural right, which achieves the open space purposes of § 247 of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York, to land within the Town of Southampton which has been acquired by the Town of Southampton by purchase, gift, grant, bequest, devise, lease or otherwise.
- LAND USED IN AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTION
- The same meaning as that term is presently defined in § 301
of the Agricultural and Markets Law of the State of New York.[Amended 7-10-1990 by L.L. No. 19-1990]
- OPEN SPACE or OPEN AREA
- Any area or space characterized by natural scenic beauty or whose existing openness, natural condition or present state of use enhances the present or potential value of abutting or surrounding development or maintains or enhances the conservation of natural or scenic resources. For purposes of this section, natural resources shall include but not be limited to agricultural lands used or possessing the potential for use in bona fide agricultural production.
The Town Board of the Town of Southampton may not alienate any interest in open spaces or open areas acquired by it under the provisions of § 247 of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York except upon the adoption of a local law by a majority plus one of the Town Board authorizing the alienation of said interest, subject to mandatory referendum by the electors of the Town of Southampton.
The provisions of this article shall apply to all interests in open space or open areas heretofore or hereafter acquired, pursuant to § 247 of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York, by the Town of Southampton.