[HISTORY: Adopted by the Common Council of the City of Hudson by Ord. No. 11-88. Amendments noted where applicable.]
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words and their derivations shall have the meanings given herein:
- AUTHORIZED PRIVATE RECEPTACLE
- A litter storage and collection receptacle authorized by the Municipal Code.
- Putrescible animal and vegetable wastes resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking and consumption of food.
- Garbage, refuse and rubbish as defined herein and all other waste material which, if thrown or deposited as herein prohibited, tends to create a danger to public health, safety and welfare.
- A park, reservation, playground, beach, recreation center or any other public area in the city owned or used by the city and devoted to active or passive recreation.
- Any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, company or organization of any kind.
- PRIVATE PREMISES
- Any dwelling, building or other structure designed or used for private purposes, whether inhabited or vacant, and shall include any yard, grounds or driveway.
- PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and all streets, sidewalks, boulevards, alleys or other public ways and any and all public parks, squares, spaces, grounds and buildings.
- All putrescible and nonputrescible solid wastes (except body wastes), including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street cleaning, dead animals, abandoned automobiles and solid market and industrial wastes.
- Nonputrescible solid wastes consisting of both combustible and noncombustible wastes, such as paper, wrappings, cigarettes, cardboard, tin cans, yard clippings, leaves, wood, glass, bedding, crockery and similar materials.
- Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in or upon any street, sidewalk or other public place within the city except in public receptacles maintained for that purpose, in authorized private receptacles for collection or in any city recycling container authorized to accept properly separated recyclable items.
Persons placing litter in public receptacles or in authorized private receptacles shall do so in such a manner as to prevent it from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon private property.
No person shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the city the accumulation of litter from any building or lot, including ashes, lawn clippings, leaves or branches. Persons owning or occupying property shall keep the sidewalk in front of their premises free of litter.
No person owning or occupying a place of business shall sweep into or deposit in any gutter, street or other public place within the city the accumulation of litter from any building or lot or from any public or private sidewalk or driveway. Persons owning or occupying places of business within the city shall keep the sidewalk in front of their business premises free of litter.
No person, while a driver or passenger in a vehicle, shall throw or deposit litter upon any street or other public place within the city or upon private property.
No person shall drive or move any truck or other vehicle within the city unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any load, contents or litter from being blown or deposited upon any street, alley or other public place, nor shall any person drive or move any vehicle or truck within the city, the wheels or tires of which carry onto or deposit in any street, alley or other public place mud, dirt, sticky substances, litter or foreign matter of any kind.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in any park within the city except in public receptacles and in such manner that the litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any part of the park or upon any street or other public place. Where public receptacles are not provided, all such litter shall be carried away from the park by the person responsible for its presence and properly disposed of elsewhere as provided herein.
No person shall throw or deposit litter in any pond, lake, stream or any other body of water in a park or elsewhere within the city.
No person shall post or affix any notice, poster or other paper or device calculated to attract the attention of the public to any lamppost, public utility pole or shade tree or upon any public structure or building, except as may be authorized or required by law.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any occupied private property within the city, whether owned by such person or not, except that the owner or person in control of private property may maintain authorized private receptacles for collection in such a manner that litter will be prevented from being carried or deposited by the elements upon any street, sidewalk or other public place or upon any private property.
The owner or person in control of any private property shall at all times maintain the premises free of litter; provided, however, that this section shall not prohibit the storage of litter in authorized private receptacles for collection.
No person shall throw or deposit litter on any open or vacant private property within the city, whether owned by such person or not.
No person shall throw or deposit any litter into any litter storage and collection receptacle unless such person is the owner of said receptacle or has the express permission of the owner to use said litter receptacle.