[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Supervisors of the Township of Willistown 10-8-1991 by Ord. No. 7-1991. Amendments noted where applicable.]
This chapter shall be known and may be cited as the "Shooting Ordinance of Willistown Township."
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
- APPROVED RANGE
- A place for shooting weapons having a natural or artificial barrier of sufficient size and density to stop any projectile or pellets fired into it, approved and designated of record by the Willistown Township Chief of Police as an approved range.
- AUTHORIZED RANGE SHOOTING
- Shooting upon an approved range in a manner consistent with safety of persons and property as authorized by the Chief of Police in approving such range, under the supervision of the owner or occupant of the land or his duly designated representative.
- The discharge or release of a projectile or pellets from any weapon, including the shooting of a pointed arrow from a bow.
- Any shotgun, rifle, air rifle, Flobert rifle, pistol, revolver, pellet gun or weapon of similar type, and any bow used to propel a pointed arrow.
Shooting within Willistown Township is hereby prohibited, except:
While lawfully hunting game in conformity with the Game Laws and other applicable laws, regulations and ordinances of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
While lawfully hunting game with the written permission of the landowner upon a form prescribed by the Township Supervisors, dated and signed by the owner or occupant of the property attesting that the bearer has been instructed by the signer concerning the topography and natural artificial hazards and traffic conditions existing upon the land and adjacent thereto, has been duly cautioned regarding existing dangers and precautions to be taken and has thereupon been granted permission to hunt upon the same for a period not to exceed one year from the date of the form. Written permission from the landowner must be in the possession of the hunter at all times when hunting in Willistown Township.
Authorized range shooting as herein defined.
It shall be the responsibility of each owner or occupant of the land to instruct carefully any person applying for permission to hunt thereon concerning the terrain, its dangers and all necessary precautions to be observed before issuing the form authorizing the holder permission to hunt on the land. A copy of each authorization shall be kept on record within the Police Department and is revocable at any time if it is determined that there has been a violation of conformity with the hunting laws of Pennsylvania or this chapter.
The careless or improper use of any weapon tending to imperil the safety of persons or engender disorderly practice is prohibited.
Any person violating any provisions of this chapter shall, upon conviction in a summary proceeding before a District Justice, be sentenced to pay a fine not exceeding $1,000 and costs, and, in default of payment of fine or costs, undergo imprisonment in the county jail for a period not to exceed 30 days.
Legible signs giving public notice of the essential provisions of this chapter shall be posted at or near the public highways at the boundaries of Willistown Township.