[Adopted 12-13-1971 by L.L. No. 1-1971 (Ch. 28A of the 1966 Code); amended in its entirety 8-20-2007 by L.L. No. 4-2007]
As used or referred to in this Part 1, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- The Town of Haverstraw Sewer District No. 1 or any sewer district hereafter created or extended by the Town Board.
- SEWER RENTS
- A scale of annual charges established and imposed by the Town Board for the use of the sewer system.
- SEWER SYSTEM
- All sewer pipes and other appurtenances constructed, operated and maintained by the district and used for the collection, treatment and disposal of sewage, industrial waste and other wastes, including sewers, intercepting sewers, outfall sewers, pumping, treatment and disposal works and their appurtenances.
- UNITS OF USE
- The quantity of usage of the sewer system assigned to different classifications of real property in the district.
- Any owner of real property within the district who is depositing or is required to deposit sewage, either directly or indirectly, into the sewer system of the district.
The basis of the charge for the sewer rents to be paid by the users shall be determined from the following schedule of units of use:
There is hereby established and imposed an annual sewer rent on all users, to be determined by multiplying the unit charge times the number of units assigned to each user based upon the schedule of units of use in § 137-3 of this Part 1. The unit charge shall be established annually by the Town Board at the time of the adoption of the Town budget.
All Town sewer rents shall become and be payable at the same time and in the same manner as other Town charges. Sewer rents shall constitute a lien upon the real property of the users on the first day of January in each year. Penalties and interest for sewer rents in arrears shall be imposed and collected in the same amounts and in the same manner as they are imposed on other Town charges.
Anything to the contrary notwithstanding in this Part 1, if a property owner in the district becomes a user, as defined herein, between the first day of January and the 31st day of October in any year, the sewer rent for such year shall be prorated for the number of months commencing with the month in which such owner becomes a user and ending with the last month of such year and shall be paid at the time such owner becomes a user. In the event that such sewer rent is not paid at such time, it shall be added to the annual sewer rent due and payable during the following year and shall be collected at the same time and in the same manner as the annual sewer rent due in the following year. If a property owner in the district becomes a user, as defined herein, between the first day of November and the 31st day of December in any year, the sewer rent for such year shall be prorated for the number of months commencing with the month in which such owner becomes a user and ending with the last month of such year. Such prorated sewer rent shall be added to the annual sewer rent due and payable during the year following the next succeeding year and shall be collected at the same time and in the same manner as the annual sewer rent.
Revenue derived from sewer rents, including penalties and interest, shall be credited to a special fund to be known as the "Sewer Rent Fund," and moneys in such fund shall be used as provided by law.