[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Wappingers Falls 7-8-2009 by L.L. No. 7-2009. Amendments noted where applicable.]
It has come to the attention of the Village Board of the Village of Wappingers Falls that certain standards and controls regarding intrusions caused by emergency signal devices and protective alarm services for businesses and residents are required for the overall safeguard of public health, wealth and welfare in that such controls will afford greater emergency protection to the public and expedite emergency communications.
For the purpose of this chapter, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
- ALARM DEVICE (POLICE, FIRE AND MEDICAL EMERGENCY)
- Any device which, when activated by a criminal act, fire or other emergency, transmits a prerecorded message or other signal by telephone, radio, central alarm station or audible or visible signal designed to cause any person within audible or visual range to notify the Police Department or Fire Department or Ambulance Corps, requiring their respective emergency response.
- FALSE ALARM
- Any signal actuated by a police, fire or medical emergency alarm device, devices or system of devices which is not the result of natural disaster, a criminal act, fire or other emergency requiring police or fire response. The term "false alarm" shall include human error and equipment malfunction causing the alarm to be activated and which results in police or fire response.
- SMOKE AND/OR HEAT DETECTOR
- Any device which, when activated by fire or smoke or other emergency, is designed to alert only the occupants of the building in which the smoke and/or heat detectors are installed.
No person shall install, cause to be installed, maintain or cause to be maintained in a structure, building or establishment any externally audible police, fire or medical emergency alarm device which does not also contain an automatic cutoff system or feature automatically cutting off the source of power to the alarm device after it has sounded for a period of no longer than 15 minutes. Any currently installed externally-audible police, fire or medical emergency alarm device which does not contain an automatic cutoff system or feature automatically cutting off the service of power to the alarm device after it has sounded for a period of no longer than 15 minutes shall be required to install such a cutoff device within 180 days of the effective date hereof.
No person shall allow or cause a false alarm to be made. Any owner, occupant or lessee of property having a police, fire or medical emergency alarm device, devices or system of police, fire or medical emergency alarm devices on his premises shall pay to the Village of Wappingers Falls, upon demand, a charge for each and every false alarm occurring on his/her premises in any calendar year as follows:
Any failure by such owner or lessee to pay the aforementioned charges within 30 days of the demand therefor shall be deemed a violation of this chapter in accordance with § 41-5.
The Police Department of the Village of Wappingers Falls shall cause to be kept an up-to-date and accurate log of all false alarms occurring in the Village of Wappingers Falls and shall transmit the same on a regular basis to the Village Clerk.
Any person, business, firm, corporation or other entity who does not pay any fee or charge established in this chapter or who violates any provisions of this chapter for which another penalty is not imposed shall be subject to a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $250 or imprisonment for 15 days, or both, for each offense, in addition to any penalty demanded pursuant to § 41-4 above. A separate offense shall be deemed committed upon each day during which a violation occurs or is committed.