[Adopted 10-8-1991 by Ord. No. 873 as Ch. 3 of the 1991 Code]
Any term not specifically defined in this section or in any other chapter of the Code or ordinances of the Borough shall be construed according to its common usage.
As used in the Code of the Borough, and in any other ordinance of the Borough, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated, unless the context clearly indicates another meaning or unless otherwise specifically provided in another chapter of the Code or ordinances of the Borough:
- ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
- Includes the Manager, officers in charge of designated staff functions of the Manager and the heads of administrative departments.
- The Borough of Charleroi, located in the County of Washington, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- This Borough Code, as adopted by the Council.
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Use of the term "state" shall be deemed to mean "commonwealth."
- The Borough Council.
- The County of Washington in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- The Engineer of the Borough, as appointed by the Council.
- FAMILY UNIT
- A person or group of persons living together as a single and separate unit.
- HIGHWAY or STATE HIGHWAY
- A road or highway of the highway system of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Any applicable act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or of the Congress of the United States.
- The elected legislative body of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, otherwise known as the "General Assembly."
- The Manager of the Borough as appointed by the Council pursuant
to the Pennsylvania Borough Code.[Amended 12-11-2014 by Ord. No. 1010]
- The Mayor of the Borough.
- The calendar month.
- The Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code, Act of Assembly approved July 31, 1968, Act No. 247, effective January 1, 1969, as amended.
- The Borough.
- PENNSYLVANIA BOROUGH CODE
- Act of April 18, 2014 (P.L. 432, No. 37), as amended. This state law sets forth the regulations concerning the
creation and operation of municipalities known as "boroughs" within
the commonwealth. Copies of the Pennsylvania Borough Code are available
at http://www.newpa.com/local-government/ local-government-law-resource-library.[Amended 12-11-2014 by Ord. No. 1010]
- Any natural person, partnership, firm, association, corporation, utility, governmental agency or other entity capable of being sued. Whenever used in any section prescribing and imposing a penalty, the term "person," as applied to associations, shall mean the partners or members thereof, and as applied to corporations, the officers thereof.
- The President of Council.
- The Secretary of the Borough.
- The Solicitor of the Borough, as appointed by the Council.
- See "commonwealth."
- Any street, road, alley, lane, court or other public way accepted or maintained by the Borough, county, commonwealth or United States government.
- The calendar year.
In this Code and in other ordinances of the Borough, the following rules of word usage shall apply, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Gender. Words importing the masculine gender only shall also mean and include the feminine and neuter genders and shall also apply to firms, associations, corporations and other artificial persons.
Number. Words importing the singular number only shall include the plural number, and words importing the plural number only shall include the singular number.
"Shall"; "may." The word "shall" is mandatory, and the word "may" is permissive.
In interpreting and applying the provisions of this Code, they shall be held to be the minimum requirements for the promotion of the public health, safety, comfort, convenience and general welfare. Where the provisions of this Code impose greater restrictions or requirements than those of any law, other ordinance or regulation, the provisions of this Code shall control. Where the provisions of any law, other ordinance or regulation impose greater restrictions or requirements, the provisions of such law, other ordinance or regulation shall be controlling.