[Ord. No. 99-1145 Art. 6 §8, 9-20-1999]
For the purposes of this Article only, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
- The temporary on-site storage of differential runoff.
- DIFFERENTIAL RUNOFF
- The difference in rate and volume of stormwater runoff from a parcel of land in its undeveloped condition to a developed condition.
- FRONT YARD
- A yard extending across the front of a lot between the side yard lines and being the minimum horizontal distance between the street line and the main building or any projection thereof, other than steps, unenclosed balconies and unenclosed porches; for corner lots, the front yard shall be only that portion of the yard facing the street containing the mailing address or similar designation for such lot.
- Permeable surfaces which absorb water, including drainage ways, ravines, flood plains and water surfaces of in-ground spas, swimming pools and fountains that are not under roof, provided however, that the water surfaces of a detention system shall not be included.
- REAR YARD
- A yard extending across the rear of a lot measured between lot lines and being the minimum horizontal distance between the rear lot line and the rear of the main building or any projections other than steps, unenclosed balconies or unenclosed porches. On corner lots the rear yard shall be considered as parallel to the street upon which the lot has its least dimension. On both corner lots and interior lots, the rear yard shall in all cases be at the opposite end of the lot from the front yard.
- SIDE YARD
- A yard between the building and the side line of the lot and extending from the front lot line to the rear lot line.
In each of the zoning districts of the City, the front yard shall include not less than seventy percent (70%) greenspace unless, within such front yard, there shall be a circular drive serving the property, in which case, such front yard shall include not less than fifty percent (50%) greenspace.
In each of the zoning districts of the City, the rear yard shall include not less than fifty percent (50%) greenspace.
In each of the zoning districts of the City, the side yard shall include not less than fifty percent (50%) greenspace.
The owner or occupant of any property in each of the zoning districts of the City may obtain, prior to undertaking any building or paving of existing grassed or natural ground covered area thereon, a variance from the strict application of the provisions of Subsections (B), (C) and/or (D) above if, in the opinion of the City's Planning and Zoning Commission, there exist practical difficulties or unnecessary hardship in the way of carrying out the strict letter of such provisions provided that the spirit of such provision shall be observed, public safety and welfare secured and substantial justice done. In such case of variance, the Planning and Zoning Commission may require, among other things, that detention or new storm sewer piping be provided for the differential runoff that is generated from the site improvements.