[Adopted 12-17-1990 as Secs. 1-2 and 1-3 of the 1990 Code]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- BOARD OF ALDERMEN
- The governing body of the Town, constituted and elected pursuant to law.
- CLERK OR TOWN CLERK
- The municipal clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- The County of Morris.
- The calendar days.
- An organizational unit of the Town government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Town government assigned to such organizational unit by the Board of Aldermen.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month unless otherwise specifically provided.
- Shall be construed to include an affirmation where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath. In such cases, the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be construed to be equivalent to the words "affirm" and "affirmed."
- See "tenant."
- OFFICER or OFFICIAL
- Officer or official and the title of an officer or official shall be construed as if the words "of the Town of Boonton" followed it.
- Any act of local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted, and including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- When applied to a building or land shall include any part owner, any corporation, joint owner, tenant in common, tenant in partnership, joint tenant or tenant by the entirety, of the whole or of a part of such building or land.
- Any corporation, firm, partnership, association, organization or other entity, as well as an individual.
- PRECEDING AND FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- Real and personal property.
- PUBLIC GROUNDS, PUBLIC SQUARES, PUBLIC PLACE or PUBLIC PLACES
- Shall severally be construed to mean any and every public ground, public square, public park or other public place within the Town.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments, all rights thereto and interests therein.
- Any man-made pedestrian walkway between the curbline or the
lateral line of a shoulder, or, if none, the lateral line of the roadway,
and the adjacent or abutting property line.[Amended 2-18-2014 by Ord. No. 2-2014; 7-20-2015 by Ord. No. 10-2015]
- Includes an avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk, and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public. "Street" shall be considered to include a sidewalk or footpath, unless the contrary is expressed or unless such construction is inconsistent with the apparent intent.
- TENANT or OCCUPANT
- Applied to a building or land, shall include any person or
third-party entity that leases or occupies the whole or a part of
such building or land, whether alone or with others.[Amended 2-18-2014 by Ord. No. 2-2014]
- The Town of Boonton, in the County of Morris and the State of New Jersey.
- Seven days.
- A calendar year unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and any other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require:
The present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future, the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural, and the plural the singular.
"Shall" is mandatory and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day be a Sunday or a legal holiday, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" includes printing, typewriting, and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Editor's Note: The former descriptions of the terms "chapter," "section," "subsection" and "paragraph," which immediately followed this subsection, were deleted 10-1-2001 by Ord. No. 14-01.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this Code shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.