[HISTORY: Adopted by the City Council of the City of Vineland 3-8-1994 by Ord. No. 94-9; amended in its entirety 4-11-2017 by Ord. No. 2017-26. Subsequent amendments noted where applicable.]
Department of Administration — See Ch. 5.
Municipal Court — See Ch. 24.
Emergency management — See Ch. 36.
Department of Finance — See Ch. 50.
Fire Department — See Ch. 56.
Department of Health — See Ch. 62.
Department of Law — See Ch. 84.
Officers and employees — See Ch. 110.
Police Department — See Ch. 123.
Department of Public Works — See Ch. 135.
Editor's Note: This ordinance superseded former Art. II, Municipal Officers and Employees, adopted 2-9-1982 by Ord. No. 1291 (Art. II of Ch. 133 of the 1968 Code). Former Art. I, Police and Fire Departments, adopted 5-9-1967 by Ord. No. 620 (Art. I of Ch. 133 of the 1968 Code), as amended, was repealed 10-8-1991 by Ord. No. 91-73.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- BONA FIDE RESIDENT
- A person having a permanent domicile within the City of Vineland and which has not been adopted with the intention of again taking up or claiming a previous residence acquired outside the City of Vineland's boundaries.
- A single legal residence. The following standards shall be used in determining legal residence:
- A. Whether the locations in question are owned or rented.
- B. Whether time actually spent in the claimed residence exceeds that of other locations.
- C. Whether the relationship among those persons living in the residence is closer than those with whom the individual lives elsewhere. If an individual claims a residence of a parent, relative or friend because of marital separation, a court order or other evidence of separation may be requested.
- D. Whether, if the residence requirement of the anticipated or actual appointment was eliminated, the individual would be likely to remain in the claimed residence.
- E. Whether the residence recorded on a driver's license, motor vehicle registration or voter registration card and other documents is the same as the claimed legal residence. Post office box numbers shall not be acceptable.
- F. Whether the school district attended by a child(ren) living with the individual is the same as the claimed residence.
Preference in hiring shall be given to prospective officers and employees who are bona fide residents of the City of Vineland. When hiring is based upon merit as determined by suitable hiring tests or other objective criteria, a resident shall be given preference over a nonresident when, in the discretion of the appointing authority or designee, all other measurable criteria are equal. The preference granted by this section shall in no way diminish, reduce or affect the preference granted pursuant to any other provision of law.
City of Vineland employees and officials shall comply with N.J.S.A. 52:14-7, which requires municipal employees and officials to live within the State of New Jersey.