[Derived from Secs. 1-2, 1-3, 1-10 and 1-11 of the 2002 Revised General Ordinances, adopted 12-16-2002 by Ord. No. 02-27]
For the purpose of this Code, and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, except as the context may otherwise require, the following definitions shall be used in the Code:
- The provisions of the Optional Municipal Charter Law, P.L. 1950, c. 210, as amended (N.J.S.A. 40:69A-1 et seq.), applicable to that form of government provided therein known as "Mayor-Council Plan F."
- CLERK or TOWNSHIP CLERK
- The Municipal Clerk duly appointed pursuant to law.
- The Municipal Council of the Township of Clark.
- The County of Union, New Jersey.
- An organizational unit of the Township government established or designated by ordinance or this Code as a department, together with any agency or instrumentality of the Township government assigned to the organizational unit by the Township Council.
- GOVERNING BODY
- The Mayor and members of the Township Council of the Township of Clark.
- Licensed in accordance with the appropriate section or chapter of this Code.
- A calendar month, unless otherwise specifically provided.
- NEW JERSEY STATUTES ANNOTATED
- Refers to the laws of the State of New Jersey, also known as "N.J.S.A."
- OFFICER or OFFICIAL (and the title of the officer or official)
- Shall be construed as if the words "of the Township of Clark" followed it.
- Any local legislation heretofore or hereafter adopted, including this Code, so long as it shall have been adopted by the procedure required for the adoption of an ordinance and so long as it shall remain in force and effect pursuant to law.
- Includes a sole owner and any part owner or joint owner of the whole or of a part of a building, land or personal property.
- Any individual, natural person, partnership, joint venture, society, association, club, trustee, corporation or unincorporated group or any officer, agent, employee, servant, factor or any kind of personal representative of any thereof in any capacity, acting either for himself/herself or for any other person, under either personal appointment or pursuant to law.
- PUBLIC GROUND, PUBLIC SQUARE, or PUBLIC PLACE
- Any and every public ground, public square, public park or other public place within the Township which is within the jurisdiction and control of the Township and which is or may be in general use by all citizens and in which all have an equal right of passage and repassage at will.
- Any portion of a street or highway between the curbline or the lateral line of a shoulder, or, if none, the lateral line of the roadway, and the adjacent property line, intended for the use of pedestrians.
- A street, avenue, road, alley, lane, highway, boulevard, concourse, driveway, culvert, sidewalk and crosswalk and every class of road, square, place or municipal parking field used by the general public, including the unpaved portion of a right-of-way.
- TENANT or OCCUPANT
- When applied to a building or land, any person who occupies all or part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- The Township of Clark in the County of Union, State of New Jersey.
- TOWNSHIP COUNCIL
- The elected legislative body of the Township of Clark consisting of the Mayor and Council members.
- Seven consecutive days.
- A calendar year, unless otherwise specifically provided.
For the purpose of this Code and in the interpretation and application of all other ordinances heretofore or hereafter adopted, words and phrases shall be given their generally accepted meaning.
The present tense includes the past and future tenses, and the future the present.
The masculine gender includes the feminine and neuter.
The singular number includes the plural, and the plural the singular.
"And" may include "or," and "or" may include "and."
"Shall" is mandatory, and "may" is permissive.
The time within which an act is to be done shall be computed by excluding the first and including the last day, and if the last day be a Sunday, a legal holiday or a day on which the offices of the Township are closed, that day shall be excluded.
"Writing" and "written" shall include printing, typewriting and any other mode of communication using paper or similar material which is in general use, as well as legible handwriting.
Whenever a specific time is used in this Code, it shall mean the prevailing and established time in effect in the State of New Jersey during any day in any year.
Any citation of a statute, law or ordinance contained in this Code shall be deemed to refer to such statute, law or ordinance as amended, whether or not such designation is included in the citation.
Technical words and phrases, and words and phrases having a special or accepted meaning in the law, shall be construed in accordance with such technical or special and accepted meaning.
Titles of chapters, sections, subsections and paragraphs are for reference only and are not a substantive part of this Code.
Whenever an ordinance that repeals an earlier ordinance or part thereof is itself repealed, such repeal shall not revive the former ordinance or part thereof.
The seal heretofore provided and used by the Township is hereby continued as the Official Seal of the Township.