[HISTORY: Adopted by the Mayor and Council of the Borough of Red Bank by Ord. No. 19-81 (Sec. 11-5 of the 1987 Revised General Ordinances). Amendments noted where applicable.]
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meaning provided:
- ANSI A17.1
- Safety code for elevators, dumbwaiters, escalators, and moving walks: American National Standards Institute, Inc. 1430 Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10018.
- CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE
- Issued by the Construction Official upon receipt and acceptance of inspection reports and/or test reports submitted by a qualified inspection agent or agency; must be posted in elevator in glass frame.
- ELEVATOR REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE
- Issued by the Construction Official upon application of building owner, shall include registration number, building owner's name and address, address of elevator installation, elevator maintenance contractor.
- QUALIFIED AGENCY
- Agency or agent approved by the Construction Official to perform elevator maintenance inspections and tests. Agency or agent must be a registered corporation in the State of New Jersey or an individual, partnership, association or other entity having a principal place of business in the State of New Jersey and must provide the Construction Official with documentation indicating specialized training or experience with elevator testing, installation and inspections, should he so require.
All elevators, new and existing, dumbwaiters, manlifts, and escalators must be registered annually with the Construction Code Enforcement Office of the Borough.
The property owner or his agent shall register each device during the month of January of each year on forms provided by the Construction Official.
Submitted with the application for registration of elevators, dumbwaiters, escalators, or manlifts shall be a certified copy of a maintenance contract for the forthcoming year for each device.
A registration fee of $25 per device shall be submitted with the application for registration. This fee shall cover the cost of certificate of compliance.
Upon receipt of application for registration, the Construction Official shall issue a certificate of registration for each device. The certificate of registration shall include the name and address of the property owner, property lot and block numbers, device locations, name and address of the maintenance contractor, Borough registration number, device manufacturer and model number, device serial number.
All elevators, escalators, and manlifts shall be inspected every six months. Dumbwaiters shall be inspected every 12 months. All elevators, escalators and dumbwaiters shall be inspected and tested to the requirements of ANSI A17.1.
All elevators, escalators and manlifts shall be inspected during the months of January and July. Dumbwaiters shall be inspected in July. Inspections shall be conducted by a qualified agency approved by the Construction Official.
Within 30 days of inspection, a detailed report shall be submitted to the Construction Official on approved forms. The inspection report must contain the Borough registration number as well as the make, model and serial number of the device. This subsection shall apply to dumbwaiters also.
Upon receipt of a complete inspection report, the Construction Official shall issue a certificate of compliance for the particular unit. A certificate of compliance shall not be issued until all hazardous conditions are corrected and all fees are paid.
Elevator service shall not be suspended except when unavoidable or where necessary to provide servicing or repairs, and then only for the minimum period of time necessary to effectuate such servicing or repairs. Where the owner has knowledge in advance of such suspension, he shall post a notice of the same advising all occupants of the time and duration of any such suspension and the reason therefor.
Any person who shall violate the provisions of this chapter or fail to comply with any order issued by the Construction Official under this chapter or who shall knowingly make a false or misleading statement or omit any required information or statement in any application for a certificate of compliance or registration certificate or report submitted under § 331-3C of this chapter, shall be subject to a penalty as established in Chapter 1, Article II, General Penalty, of the Code of the Borough of Red Bank.