[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Committee of the Township of East Hanover 8-21-1980 by Ord. No. 19-1980. Sections 106-1 and 106-5 amended at time of adoption of Code; see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I. Other amendments noted where applicable.]
Vehicles and traffic — See Ch. 155.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- LICENSED VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle licensed by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, for operation upon the public highways.
- Any two-wheeled motor-propelled apparatus licensed by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, or by the equivalent of another state, for operation upon the public highways.
- A. Any two-, three- or four-wheeled bicycle or similar apparatus motor-propelled or having a helper motor and commonly referred to, among other designations, as "moped," "minibike," "go-cart," "all-terrain vehicles (ATV)," "trailbike," "dune buggy" or the like, which by its nature is not authorized to be licensed by the State of New Jersey, Department of Motor Vehicles, for use upon the public highways notwithstanding the fact that licensing of the same in some instances may not be required for operation upon the public highways.
- B. A snowmobile and any similar sport vehicle which is motor-propelled and traverses the terrain by means of treads, tracks or the like as contrasted to wheels.
- PRIVATE PROPERTY
- All lands in the Township of East Hanover not defined herein as "public property," or a part of a road system defined as an exception to the "public property" definition set forth below.
- PUBLIC PROPERTY
- Lands owned or leased by the Township of East Hanover, a municipal corporation of the State of New Jersey, County of Morris, Township of East Hanover Board of Education or any other equivalent public body, but specifically excluding from said definition any publicly owned parking lots and any roadways used for public transportation and being part of the accepted road system of the State of New Jersey, Department of Transportation, or Township of East Hanover or the County of Morris, the parking of motorized vehicles being permitted on said publicly owned parking lots and roadways of the accepted road system where parking is not otherwise prohibited.
- UNLICENSED VEHICLE
- Any motor vehicle not in conformance with the definition of "licensed vehicle" above.
It shall be unlawful:
To operate a motorized sportbike or other unlicensed vehicle or a motorcycle on public or private property other than with the express consent of all the owners and lessees of said property.
To operate a motorized sportbike or other unlicensed vehicle or a motorcycle or other licensed vehicle on public or private property in such a way as to harass, worry or disturb residents, domestic animals or wildlife or, further, to destroy or damage said property.
The terms of this chapter shall not be applicable:
To police or other emergency vehicles, including but not limited to squad cars, motorcycles, ambulances, fire control vehicles, snow removal equipment and the like.
To motorized lawnmowers, tractors or farm vehicles or to construction equipment.
To licensed vehicles lawfully entering or exiting on public roads over private driveways provided and used for said purpose of ingress or egress.
It shall be the duty of any police officer to confiscate and impound any motorized vehicle which is allegedly operated in violation of the terms of this chapter. Said period of impoundment shall be from the date of the alleged violation until the disposition of the alleged offense by such court of competent jurisdiction as shall hear the same, and the owner thereof shall pay the reasonable cost of said removal and storage constituting impoundment, which is hereby deemed to be $3 per day, which charge for impoundment shall in no event exceed 30 consecutive calendar days, provided that the operator shall be deemed guilty of the alleged offense. Said expense of impoundment shall be in addition to any other fine or penalty levied or collected under the terms of this chapter.