[HISTORY: Adopted by the Board of Trustees of the Village of Johnson City 8-11-1992 as L.L. No. 10-1992. This local law passed at permissive referendum on November 3, 1992 (Art. IV of Ch. 3 of the 1973 Code). Amendments noted where applicable.]
Bingo — See Ch. 110.
This chapter is adopted pursuant to Article 9-A of the General Municipal Law of the State of New York and shall be known as the "Games of Chance Local Law of the Village of Johnson City."
It shall hereinafter be lawful for any authorized organization, upon obtaining a license therefor, to conduct games of chance within the Village of Johnson City subject to the provisions of Article 9-A of the General Municipal Law and the provisions of this chapter and subject to the provisions and rules governing such games of chance as set forth by the New York State Racing and Wagering Board. The conduct of such games of chance shall be subject to the restrictions imposed by § 189 of the General Municipal Law.
The words and terms used in this chapter shall have the same meanings as such words and terms are used in Article 9-A of the General Municipal Law, unless otherwise provided herein or the context requires a different meaning;
- AUTHORIZED ORGANIZATION
- Includes any bona fide religious or charitable organization or bona fide educational, fraternal or service organization or bona fide organization of veterans or volunteer firemen which, by its charter, certificate of incorporation, constitution or act of the legislature, shall have among its dominate purposes one (1) or more of the lawful purposes as defined in Article 9-A of the General Municipal Law, provided that each shall operate without profit to its members, and provided that each such organization has engaged in serving one (1) or more of the lawful purposes as defined in Article 9-A for a period of three (3) years immediately prior to applying for a license under this chapter. No organization shall be deemed an authorized organization which is formed primarily for the purpose of conducting games of chance and which does not devote at least seventy-five percent (75%) of its activities to other than conducting games of chance. No political party shall be deemed an authorized organization.
- BELL JARS
- Includes those games in which a participant shall draw a card from a jar or other suitable container which contains numbers, colors or symbols that are covered and which, when uncovered, may reveal that a prize shall be awarded on the basis of a designated winning number, color or symbol or combination of numbers, colors or symbols.
- GAMES OF CHANCE
- Includes only the games known as "merchandise wheels" and "bell jars" and such other specific games as may be authorized by the State Racing and Wagering Board in which prizes are awarded on the basis of a designated winning number or numbers, color or colors, symbol or symbols, determined by chance, but not including games commonly known as "bingo" or "lotto" which are controlled under Article 14-H of the General Municipal Law or this chapter and also not including "slot machines," "policy or number games" and "lottery" as defined in § 225.00 of the Penal Law. No "game of chance" shall involve wagering of money by one (1) player against another player.
- The chief law enforcement officer of the Village of Johnson City.
- The Village of Johnson City.
No game or games of chance shall be conducted under any license issued under this chapter more often than twelve (12) times in any calendar year. No particular premises shall be used for the conduct of games of chance on more than twenty-four (24) license periods during any one (1) calendar year. Games shall be conducted only between the hours of 12:00 noon and 12:00 midnight on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and only between the hours of 12:00 noon on Friday and 2:00 a.m. Saturday and 12:00 noon on Saturday and 2:00 a.m. Sunday. The 2:00 a.m. closing period shall also apply to a legal holiday. The above restrictions shall not apply when only the game of chance known as the "bell jar" is conducted.
Games of chance may be commenced under any license issued pursuant to this chapter on Sunday between the hours of 12:00 noon and 12:00 midnight only, except that the application for a license may request approval to conduct such games of chance beyond 12:00 midnight if the following day is a legal holiday. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, no games of chance shall be conducted on Easter Sunday, Christmas Day or New Year's Eve.