[HISTORY: Adopted by the Township Council of the Township of Cedar Grove 5-6-2002 by Ord. No. 02-578. Amendments noted where applicable.]
Police Department — See Ch. 55.
Editor's Note: This ordinance repealed former Ch. 262, Weapons, adopted 1-17-1938, Ch. 13, Art. 7, of the former Revised Ordinances.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
- Any shaft having a pointed end designed to be propelled any distance by a bow.
- Any bow, including, but not limited to, a crossbow, longbow, recurved bow, or compound bow, or any variations thereof, that is or may be used to propel a arrow or other projectile.
- A. Any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semiautomatic rifle, or any gun; or
- B. Any paintball gun, pellet gun, or "BB" gun; or
- C. Any device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet (including a paintball pellet), missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor, paint or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances; or
- D. Without limitation any device which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun, wrist rocket, sling shot, or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet, pellet or missile or sufficient diameter and sufficient force to injure a person or damage property, both personal and real.
- TARGET PRACTICE
- Use of any firearm, bow and arrow, or other weapon or device to shoot at an object, such as a padded disk with a marked surface, or other objects such as cans, wood, debris or the like, for the purpose of testing a person's skill or accuracy in the use of a firearm, bow and arrow, or other weapon or device.
- TRAP SHOOTING
- Use of any firearm, bow and arrow, or other weapon or device to shoot at clay objects propelled into the air by spring mechanisms or other means.
No person shall at any time use a bow ad arrow, firearm, or other weapon or device of any kind within the boundaries of the Township of Cedar Grove except for the protection of life, limb or property.
Nothing in this chapter shall be deemed to apply to:
Any premises authorized by the Township Police Department for target practice or trap shooting.
The use and discharge of any firearm or weapon by any person, officer or official authorized pursuant to the laws of this state or of the United States or pursuant to the ordinances of the Township.
[Amended 10-23-2006 by Ord. No. 06-656]
Any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine not exceeding $2,000 or by imprisonment for a term not exceeding 90 days, or both.