[Adopted by Ord. No. 1308 as Ch. 5.48 of the 1998 Code]
A. The annual fee for the license for each vehicle with a capacity of five passengers and for each vehicle with a capacity of more than five passengers shall be as set forth in Chapter 169, Fee Schedule.
A. For the first half mile: $0.75; for each additional quarter of a mile or fraction thereof: $0.10.
B. For each five minutes of waiting time when a passenger requests a stop en route: $0.30.
(1) A child under the age of two years, accompanied by an adult: no fare.
(2) Each additional child under the age of two years accompanying said adult, provided that all are bound for the same destination: $0.25.
D. For bundles or laundry carried by a passenger: $0.25.
[Adopted by Ord. No. 1308 as Ch. 5.40 of the 1998 Code]
- Includes any automobile or motor car with a carrying capacity of not more than nine passengers not including the driver used in the business of carrying passengers for hire which is held out, announced or advertised to operate or run or which is operated or run over any of the streets or public highways of this state and which is hired by charter or for a particular contract or by the day or hour or other fixed period or to transport passengers to a specified place or places or which charges a fare or price agreed upon in advance between the operator and the passenger. Nothing in this article shall be construed to include taxicabs, hotel buses or buses employed solely in transporting school children or teachers or auto buses which are subject to the jurisdiction of the Board of Public Utilities or interstate auto buses required by federal or state laws or rules of the Board of Public Utilities to carry insurance against loss from liability imposed by law on account of bodily injury or death. "Limousine" also means "auto cab" as defined by N.J.S.A. 48:16-13.
- LIMOUSINES or LIVERY SERVICE
- Includes the business of carrying passengers for hire by auto cabs.
- Includes any individual, copartnership, association, corporation or joint-stock company, their lessees, trustees or receivers appointed by any court whatsoever.
- Includes any street, avenue, park, parkway, highway or other public place.
[Amended by Ord. No. 1999-33]
A. Applications for licenses shall be made in writing, upon forms to be furnished by the Township of Montville, signed by the applicant and filed with the Clerk of the Township of Montville, which applications shall contain or be accompanied by the following information:
(1) The name, age and residence of the applicant; if a partnership, the names, ages and residences of all the partners, together with the business and address of the partnership; and if a corporation, the names, ages and residences of the president, secretary and treasurer thereof and the period of residence in the state, county and Township. Editor's Note: Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I).
(2) Copy of an insurance policy complying with N.J.S.A. 48:16-14 and, if applicable, federal law, for every auto cab, limousine or livery service.
(3) Name of insurance company, the number and the date of expiration of the policy or bond required by N.J.S.A. 48:16-14 and/or federal law, and a description of every auto cab, limousine or livery service insured thereunder and the registration number of the same. A copy of the registration of every auto cab, limousine or livery service must also be provided.
(4) A zoning permit obtained from the Township Zoning Officer for the operation of the applicant's limousine business.
B. Applications made by corporations shall be signed in the name of the corporation by the president and attested by the secretary. A certified copy of a corporate resolution authorizing the application shall be attached.
C. Said application shall be duly verified by the applicant before a notary public or some other person duly authorized to administer oaths.
D. Each such application shall be accompanied by the full amount of the license fee hereinafter prescribed.
E. Upon receipt by the Township Clerk of an application for a operator's license, the application shall be forwarded to the Chief of Police who is authorized to perform a background check of the applicant, including but not limited to a criminal history check. All requested criminal history checks will be subject to the state's required user fee. The required user fee shall be submitted with the application.
A. The nonrefundable fees to be paid for said licenses herein shall be as set forth in Chapter 169, Fee Schedule, per annum. Editor's Note: Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1, General Provisions, Art. I).
B. All limousine licenses shall expire on December 31 following the date of issue. Limousine licenses are not subject to renewal. A person seeking same must reapply each year.
[Amended by Ord. No. 1999-33]
A. The Township Clerk, upon the approval of the Township Committee of an application for licensure of an auto cab, limousine, or livery service, shall issue a certificate, in duplicate, showing that the owner of the auto cab, limousine, or livery service has complied with the terms and provisions of this article and N.J.S.A. 48:16-13 et seq. Each such license shall be signed by the Township Clerk and shall have the Township Seal affixed thereto.
B. The certificate shall recite the name of the insurance company, the number and date of expiration of the policy or bond, a description of every auto cab, limousine or livery service insured thereunder and the registration number of the same. A certified copy of the applicant's insurance declaration sheet shall be attached or a certificate of insurance naming the Township of Montville as a certificate holder, with notification of cancellation 20 days prior.
C. The duplicate certificate shall be filed with the Division of Motor Vehicles before any such car is registered as an auto cab, limousine or livery service as required by N.J.S.A. 48:16-17.
D. The original certificate shall be posted in a conspicuous place within the limousine, auto cab or livery service.
E. If more than one limousine or auto cab is to be licensed, a copy of the certificate, certified by the Township Clerk is to be posted in a conspicuous place within the limousine, auto cab or livery service.
A. No person shall operate an auto cab, limousine or livery service unless such person obtains a Township license for such purpose pursuant to the provisions of this article.
B. Application for operation; requirements.
(1) Applications for operation shall be made in writing, upon forms to be furnished by the Township of Montville, signed by the applicant and filed with the Clerk of the Township of Montville, which applications shall contain or be accompanied by the following information:
(a) The name, age and residence of the applicant along with a copy of his/her driving license;
(b) A certificate issued by the Township of Montville Chief of Police certifying that the applicant does not have any criminal record;
(2) The application shall contain such other facts as the Township Committee may require.
C. Photograph required. Each applicant for an auto cab or limousine license shall submit with his/her application two recent photographs of himself/herself approximately 1 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches in size. One of the photographs shall be permanently attached to the application, and the other photograph shall be affixed to the license so that it cannot be removed. This license will be placed in the auto cab or limousine which the applicant operates at the time he/she is operating same.
D. Age requirements. No limousine driver's license shall be issued to any person unless he/she is at least 18 years of age and has had at least one year of driving experience.
E. Issuance of a license. Upon receipt by the Township Clerk of an application for an auto cab or limousine driver's license, the application shall be forwarded to the Chief of Police who shall determine whether or not the applicant is duly licensed by the State of New Jersey, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 39:3-10, to operate a motor vehicle and physically qualified to operate an auto cab or limousine, that he/she is able to read, write and speak the English language, that he/she had knowledge of the traffic regulations of the State of New Jersey and of the Township. The Chief of Police is authorized to perform a background check of the applicant, including but not limited to a criminal history check. All requested criminal history checks will be subject to the state's required user fee. Upon making of such an inquiry by the Chief of Police and the completion thereof, the Township Clerk shall recommend to the Township Committee the approval or disapproval of the application for such license. The Township Clerk shall not issue an auto cab or limousine driver's license until the application therefor has been approved by the Township Committee and the conditions precedent to the issuance of the license as set forth in this article are complied with.
F. Terms of license; renewals. All licenses issued pursuant to this section shall expire on December 31 following the date of issue. Licenses are not subject to renewal. A person seeking same must reapply each year.
A. Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of this article shall be, upon conviction thereof, punished as set forth in Chapter 1, Article III, General Provisions, in the discretion of the court, and, in addition thereto, the license provided by this article shall be suspended, pending action by the Mayor and Township Committee with respect to suspension or revocation of said license in accordance with the terms of this article.
B. Any license granted pursuant to this article may be revoked by the Township Clerk upon evidence of failure to comply with any provision of N.J.S.A. 48:16-13 et seq.