[HISTORY: Adopted by the Village Board of the Village of Grafton as Title 1, Ch. 1.04, of the 1979 Code. Amendments noted where applicable.]
The following words and phrases, whenever used in the ordinances of the Village of Grafton, Wisconsin, shall be construed as defined in this section unless from the context a different meaning is intended or unless a different meaning is specifically defined and more particularly directed to the use of such words or phrases:
- The County of Ozaukee.
- Denotes applicable federal law, the Constitution and statutes of the State of Wisconsin, the ordinances of the Village of Grafton and, when appropriate, any and all rules and regulations which may be promulgated thereunder.
- Is permissive.
- A calendar month.
- MUST AND SHALL
- Are each mandatory.
- Includes an affirmation or declaration in all cases in which, by law, an affirmation may be substituted for an oath; and in such cases, the words "swear" and "sworn" shall be equivalent to the words "affirm" and "affirmed."
- Applied to a building or land includes any part owner, joint owner, tenant in common, joint tenant, tenant by the entirety of the whole or a part of such building or land.
- Includes a natural person, joint venture, joint stock company, partnership, association, club, company, corporation, business, trust, organization or the manager, lessee, agent, servant, officer or employee of any of them.
- PERSONAL PROPERTY
- Includes money, goods, chattel, things in action and evidences of debt.
- PRECEDING AND FOLLOWING
- Next before and next after, respectively.
- Includes real and personal property.
- REAL PROPERTY
- Includes lands, tenements and hereditaments.
- That portion of a street between the curbline and the adjacent property line intended for the use of pedestrians.
- The State of Wisconsin.
- Includes all streets, highways, avenues, lanes, alleys, courts, places, squares, curbs or other public ways in this Village which have been or may hereafter be dedicated and open to public use or such other public property so designated in any law of this state.
- TENANT and OCCUPANT
- Applied to a building or land, includes any person who occupies the whole or a part of such building or land, whether alone or with others.
- VILLAGE AND TOWN
- Each means the Village of Grafton and Town of Grafton, Wisconsin, or the area within the territorial limits of the Village of Grafton, Wisconsin, and such territory outside of the Village over which the Village has jurisdiction or control by virtue of any constitutional or statutory provision.
- VILLAGE BOARD
- The Village Board of the Village of Grafton. "All its members" or "all its trustees" means the total number of trustees holding office.
- WISCONSIN STATUTES
- The Wisconsin Statutes as of the adoption of this Code, as
amended or renumbered from time to time.[Amended at time of adoption of Code (see Ch. 1.01, Code Adoption)]
- Includes printed, typewritten, mimeographed, multigraphed or otherwise reproduced in permanent visible form.
- A calendar year.
Use of the title of any officer, employee, department, board or commission means that officer, employee, department, board or commission of the Village.
All words and phrases shall be construed according to the common and approved usage of the language, but technical words and phrases and such others as may have acquired a peculiar and appropriate meaning in the law shall be construed and understood according to such peculiar and appropriate meaning.
The following grammatical rules shall apply in the ordinances of the Village of Grafton, unless it is apparent from the context that a different construction is intended:
Gender. Each gender includes the masculine, feminine and neuter genders.
Singular and plural. The singular number includes the plural, and the plural includes the singular.
Tenses. Words used in the present tense include the past and the future tenses, and vice versa, unless manifestly inapplicable.
When an act is required by an ordinance, the same being such that it may be done as well by an agent as by the principal, such requirement shall be construed to include all such acts performed by an authorized agent.
Whenever in the ordinances of the Village of Grafton any act or omission is made unlawful, it shall include the causing, allowing, permitting, aiding, abetting, suffering or concealing the fact of such act or omission.
Except when otherwise provided, the time within which an act is required to be done shall be computed by excluding the first day and including the last day, unless the last day is a Sunday or a holiday, in which case it shall also be excluded.
The provisions of the ordinances of the Village of Grafton and all proceedings under them are to be construed with a view to effect their objects and to promote justice.
The repeal of an ordinance shall not repeal the repealing clause of an ordinance or revive any ordinance which has been repealed thereby.